Thursday, September 4, 2008

7 Thoughts on a Thursday

1. It was a strange summer filled with learning new technology (my roommates flat screen, this new blog, my new phone) and frustrated by dealing with the old (various computer problems, Time Warner internet failures at home, losing my iPod Shuffle and having to buy a new one.. grr) ... wasn't technology supposed to make our lives easier, not harder?


2. I've let go of a few things in my life and by no small miracle, my back pain decreased significantly. Going to a chiropractor 9 times in three weeks helped also. As did learning to sit differently while on the computer. And stretching. And bike riding.


3. Saturday August 30th was one of the best days in my life.

I spent five hours riding the bike from W. 102nd down along the river to South Ferry, boarding a boat to Governor's Island, riding a lap there, and then resuming the ride along the southern edge of Manhattan and up along the lower east side until I got to E. 34th St when the bike path ended. Oh sure I could have ridden through city streets but I was a little over it.


Then, after getting home via subway, and two chicken empanadas later followed by a long hot shower, I spent the evening with my two best friends: the BF and Matt who was in for the weekend from San Francisco. Best. Day. In a long time!! (I was just sorry that the BF was ill all weekend..... :( :( :( :( )


4. I am in love with my bike. In addition to the bike ride I took initially in mid August, I also rode last Saturday the equivalent of about 15 miles and then on Labor Day rode up from where I live on W. 102nd Street up to 190th where the Cloisters are located (to have a picnic lunch with Jim, his boyfriend Bill and some of their friends).

The short term goal of riding the bike: to ride the entire perimeter of Manhattan (30 miles)... the long term goal: to ride the 100 miles from Jamaica Queens to Montauk (at the very end of Long Island). The ten miles from the town of Montauk to the lighthouse (which I've been to and is gorgeous) is pretty hilly... I don't know that I have the kind of bike to make those hills but I do want to do the 100 miles ... don't know if it'll be this autumn or next summer..... but I'll do it!


5. Both the DNC and RNC have worn me out on politics. Yeah she's got a nice rack. Yeah, he speaks eloquently. Yup he's a wonderful family man and sure, he's got military experience up the wazoo. But they're all liars, thieves and corrupt. Worst of all, none of 'em is worth a dime if all they can do is bitch about each other. Unfortunately we're stuck listening to them for the next 60 days and worse, we have to listen to all the crybaby reporters and commentators from all sides of the political spectrum whine and lie and bitch and moan about how this and that person isn't being fair. Honestly, it's like listening to four year old cry about graham crackers. At least you can put a four year old down for a nap. What are we supposed to do with grown men and women who express with relish the defeat and humiliation of another human being when they are supposed to be journalists who are reporting the news?

I wish they'd all just shut up and find another job. Thank God for the 'off' button on the television set.



6. On a brighter note, Laura Spencer is back on General Hospital and the scenes are watchable. Imagine. Material on GH that's actually interesting, plays to history, isn't focused on the mob and compels me to tune in every day... shocking!! Naturally the whole question of "is Lulu imagining that Laura is well or is Laura really recovering?" is a really great way to play with her return. Bravo!




7. I caught a few shows that I normally would not watch... and found some truly bizarre (and funny) stuff: The Girls Next Door (about three Playboy bunnies in Hef's mansion), Chelsea Lately (a smart talk show run by a female comic addressing issues of the day... a female Jon Stewart.. wish she filmed in NYC), and .. yes, I admit it, I watched the return of 90210 the other night.. yes it was somewhat watchable.

No comments: