Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Not Just West Side Story


It was Valentine’s Day and so the BF and I decided to head to the Chelsea Clearview for a late night showing of WEST SIDE STORY. Being a fan of film from a young age I’ve seen a lot of movies but generally prefer seeing musicals on stage to movies. It’s just the way that I am which is how it is that I turn 45 in a couple weeks and have for the first time ever seen WEST SIDE STORY.


Well, just wow. It’s strange how dancing gangs of guys seem funny at first but become normal about a third the way in. The best part? The flick was a mere $10. This I guess shouldn’t sound like a great deal but it is considering that movies have ballooned up to $12.50 here in Manhattan.. making it like the third or fourth price increase in about a year.


I’d be fine with the price increase if the concessions were going down (they’re not) or the movies were really great (they are SO not).. what’s the way to keep people away from your business? Make it too expensive to go.
So phooey on Chelsea Clearview and any theatre charging $12.50 for crap like THE INTERNATIONAL (even if it does star Clive Owen who can, for the most part, simply sit in a chair and I’d find it interesting).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How funny! I was there for that screening too! And I just loved it. I'd fogotten how fantastic a film it is and how inventive Robert Wise was as a director. It was especially great to see it with my sig other... very romantic.
xo,
R