Monday, February 7, 2011

Bad Party, Good Pictures


A couple weeks ago in the midst of one of the big snowstorms, I was urged by my promoter-self to attend a book signing party by an Olympic figure skater who had just come out (no names please!).

I'd been to the venue before, a year ago, at a big birthday bash for Village Voice columnist Michael Musto -which was a fabulous soiree where I had the best time.

Unfortunately this particular party blew and I couldn't wait to leave. Filled with 20somethings who think a hairdo will take the place of a personality (don't they always? no matter what generation of 20somethings you're talking about?) vapidly gossiping, trying to get closer to the star at large.

I was merely trying to get a drink when I got knocked in the ribs by rather rotund queen who was simultaneously trying to nudge his way into the inner circle and push me out - I had inadvertantly walked into the middle of the honorees' vortex - and frankly I was happy to get away. Feh.

This was the kind of party where people walked around in a daze trying to look important - oh pretty boy, don't you realize that the more important you actually are, the less you have to try to look as though you are? And oh Miss Drag Queen who got kicked off a show on a runty gay cable show, honey, you are not 'it' despite the lackey's surrounding you - don't they know that you cannot help them because you've burned your bridges all over town and said gay cable station won't be around much longer to make you a star? Sigh.

I was in such a foul mood that I decided to get some air before leaving and I'm glad I did. The venue had an open roofdeck and provides scarlet bathrobes so that one can go outside and smoke, talk, drink or, like I did, merely go out and enjoy the view.

And what a view!

The skyline of New York sprinkled with diamonds falling from the sky, so full, flaky and fast that it created a hypnotic affect. It was refreshing to see a few others out there too in groups posing for pics or getting their own keepsakes, as I did, of the Empire State Building.

It seems no matter what happens, a dreamy gaze into the eyes of my beloved ESB makes everything all right with the world.

No comments: